Huai San is also known as Chinese Yam, Nagaimo or shanyao (山药). It is widely available in Asia, mainly China and Japan.
Huai Shan are known for their herbal benefits to improve digestion and enhance the functions of kidneys and lungs. They are also used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) to treat illnesses such as diabetes, diarrhoea, cough, fatigue, poor appetite and more.
Give this healthy soup a try!
- 500g chicken
- 4 dried scallops – soaked in ½ cup water (keep soaked water)
- 2 dried honey dates
- 350 g of Huai Shan cut in your preferred shape
- 2 tbsp Goji berries
- 6 dried red dates
- 5½ cups water
- Salt to taste
- Rinse chicken. Put the chicken in boiling water for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Place chicken, dried scallops with soaked water, dried red dates, dried honey dates and water into a big pot and bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce to low heat and simmer for about 1.5 – 2 hours.
- Add Huai San and simmer for 30 minutes. Add goji berries in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Salt to taste and serve.