Missing all the yummy delicious food from Taiwan? Fret not! You can simply whip up one of the most popular dishes in Taiwan at your home in no time! Lu Rou Fan (卤肉饭) or ‘Braised Pork Rice’ is an all-in-one rice bowl dish of tender-braised pork belly with a rich and savoury gravy, eggs and veggies. It is relatively easy to prepare and a wonderful dish to share with family guests.
The Royal Golden Grain Taiwan Pearl Rice is an excellent choice to go with the braised pork. Each grain of rice represents the high quality and flavours of Taiwan.
Try out the delicious home-cooked Braised Pork Rice using the recipe below:
- 400g Pork Belly, cut into strips
- ½ Cup of Shao Xing Rice Wine
- 15g of Rock Sugar
- 50g Shallots (chopped)
- 1/3 cup of Happy Family Dark Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup of Happy Family Light Soy Sauce
- 400ml Water
- 1 Teaspoon of Five Spice Powder
- A few dashes of White Pepper
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (chopped)
- 1 Table Spoon of Happy Family Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups of Royal Golden Grain Taiwan Pearl Rice
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and diced
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and shallots. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add pork belly and mix well for few minutes until the liquid evaporates
- Add mushrooms, five spice powder, white pepper, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Shao Xing rice wine and rock sugar. Mix and toss them together until the pork belly are evenly coated in sauce.
- Add in 400ml of water, turn the heat down to the lowest. Cover with the lid and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Prepare to cook the Royal Golden Grain Taiwan Pearl Rice
- Place some rice in a bowl, pour a generous amount of braised pork to the rice and ready to serve.